Monday, March 14, 2011

Happy Birthday Tycho!

Love this dog!


And Happy St. Patrick's Day! Years ago we decided to make St. Paddy's day Tycho's official birthday since we didn't know the exact day. Today he turned 7 years old! He may be old in body, but he's still very young at heart!


I realized that I haven't posted in over a month so I'm long overdue. Time for an update!

Tycho had his 4 month post-op visit and X-rays with Dr. Hutchinson last month and we received very good news. The implant is looking good and his bone seems to be growing into the implant as expected. He is now allowed to go on leashed walks for as long as he would like to go (which is usually longer than I have time to go). I haven't been able to tire this guy out with an hour long hilly walk. He is also allowed to start going off leash for 10 minutes at a time to put a bit of stress on the implant which will facilitate boney ingrowth. In a word, Tycho is a happy camper! (Ok so thats 2 words!) This week Tycho is staying with his uncle since I am pet-sitting and he went to Ambleside dog beach today for the first time in years and had a blast.

4 months and he's still got a naked bum :(


Mr. Kepler has been very busy lately. He started agility foundation classes last month and is progressing slowly but surely. It has been very weird for me to be back at agility since it has been 3 years since I've done any training, but I'm loving it! I'm taking things slow with Kepler's training to ensure that he knows every obstacle inside and out. I'm also taking things a bit slow because of his luxating patella. I want to strengthen his knee, but I don't want to overdo it with him and cause more problems. Kepler has been doing lots of balance work with his hind end to try and strengthen his knee and I thought it was helping but he still limps after too much exercise. He also had his first tracking session recently and shows potential with that too!

Look at those gorgeous eyes!


2 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday Tyke-Manyke! You're still my favourite German Shepherd!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Better late than never - Happy Birthday Tyke-Manyke!

    ReplyDelete